Thursday, March 24, 2016

Week 6

I turned in a proposal to my mentor to describe the specifics of my experiment and what materials I would need (tissues, primary and secondary antibodies, serum) so he can get them and I can get started. I will only be able to work with a control tissue (no AD) and severe AD because the other intermediate tissues are ROS (religious orders study) tissue, which is tissue from older religious clergies. When they use this tissue they can make sure the results aren't disturbed by other activities that harm the body, like drinking and smoking.
I've also decided that instead of also doing a western blot, I will do a fluorescent IHC. There are two types of IHCs and I will be doing chromogenic IHC for the first part of my project (which will show where the tangles and plaques each are) and then I will do fluorescent IHC for the second part (which will show where the tangles and plaques are together in the same sample).
I did a lot more research this week and started working on my presentation.

3 comments:

  1. Kinza,

    What are the differences between fluorescent IHC and chormogenic IHC? Do you need different equipment to perform the techniques? Have you used the techniques before or will you be learning these before you can analyze your data?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yes I have used the techniques many times before :)

      Delete
  2. It's mostly the same equipment and procedure. There are a couple small differences due to material availability and different staining materials, but other than that it's basically the same. I will be learning how to use the fluorescent microscope but other than that, the procedures are so similar, I shouldn't have a hard time.

    ReplyDelete